Thursday, August 11, 2011

Healing Flowers



“Everywhere, wildflowers, even in cracks in concrete sidewalks. Everywhere, this fragrance, this pursuit, this passion.” ~ Ann Voskamp, A Holy Experience, August 9, 2011

A few weeks ago, I went to a small village in the mountains about a two-hour drive from the city to retreat and spend time with friends. I left my house, anticipating a memorable and refreshing time. 

I certainly was in need of some refreshment. My time in the US in June was intense and full of loss.  Deep mentor-relationships changing, Grandpa’s death and the quickly fading  “home-ness” of the Binghamton area all weighed heavily on my heart (not to mention all of the upcoming changes and losses on this side of the world). I wasn’t doing well. Whirlwind trips, international flights and jetlag have their way of numbing, giving a tangible reason for the fatigue, the apathy, the “need to recover and rest” by not leaving my house for days. Talking with others only helped momentarily. I knew I was on a downward spiral and didn’t know how to get out.

So thankful that God, in His Grace and Steadfast Love did not leave me in that dark place.

When my friends extended an invitation to join them at their house set on a mountain top in a quaint rural village aptly named “Green Mountain Ridge,” I immediately started making preparations.

The long drive, meaningful conversations, cups of coffee overlooking the fog-laden valley, time away in a place unfamiliar and beautiful all helped to start the process of healing that my soul needed. 

“…the mending and binding so necessary to heal our stress-filled lives may flow through creation. For the spiritually oppressed or the socially injured, a pleasing or quiet natural environment can help provide spiritual release. Resting by a clear, free-running river or sitting on a sunny slope in a blooming desert grassland can bring peace and joy into very clouded souls.”  ~ Susan Power Bratton (quoted by Gary Thomas in Sacred Pathways, p. 50)   

But, it was wandering in a sunflower patch, up and down rows of ripening corn, through the village with my camera that lifted me out of the darkening place that was holding my soul tight. Taking photographs helps me pause, look harder, see the Creator’s beauty in the vibrant colors, detailed shapes, and meticulous uniqueness of created things. Looking at the world through my camera lens helps me slow down, feel my surroundings with each of my senses.  I can breathe more fully, smile more deeply, “know in my knower” that God is Sovereign and Good and cares intimately about the details in my life. Just like He promised, He has not left. He is very much present and active. And I can surrender once again to Him.

His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. (Rom 1.20)
Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord from the heavens; praise him in the heights! Praise him, all his angels; praise him, all his hosts! Praise him, sun and moon, praise him, all you shining stars! Praise him, you highest heavens, and you waters above the heavens! Let them praise the name of the Lord! For he commanded and they were created. And he established them forever and ever; he gave a decree, and it shall not pass away. Praise the Lord from the earth, you great sea creatures and all deeps, fire and hail, snow and mist, stormy wind fulfilling his word! Mountains and all hills, fruit trees and all cedars!Let them praise the name of the Lord, for his name alone is exalted; his majesty is above earth and heaven…. (Ps 148)

 











Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created. (Rev 4.11)
 











No comments:

Post a Comment